100 grams cauliflower , cut in small pieces
1 medium onion, chopped
1 medium potato, diced into small pieces
few sprigs coriander finely chopped ( optional)
1 green chilly, finely chopped
1 tsp red chilly powder
1/4 tsp turmeric
1 heaped tsp cumin-coriander powder ( dhania jeera)
a pinch of ajwain (carom seeds / bishop's weed) (optional)
1 - 1 1/2 cup gram flour (besan)
1 tbsp flour (maida)
salt to taste
oil for frying
1. Wash and chop cauliflower, onions and potatoes in small pieces.
2. Add green chilly, coriander sprigs to the chopped vegetables.
3. Add gram flour, plain flour (maida), red chilly powder, turmeric, cumin-coriander powder, carom seeds and salt. Add enough water to make a thick smooth batter.
4. Heat oil in a medium size pan. The pan should be filled with 1 1/2 inches oil.
5. Drop spoonfuls of batter in the hot oil. Fry pakoras in small batches. It takes 4-5 minutes to fry. Turn over the pakoras occasionally.
6. Fry till golden brown.
7. Serve hot with mint and coriander chutney .
1) Oil check : Let the oil heat for 4-5 minutes. Put a small drop of batter in the oil. The batter should come up immediately but is should not change color to brown. If it becomes brown then the oil is too hot.
2) Adding flour (maida) makes the pakoras crispier.