Tomato Saar (Serves 2-3)
2-3 medium tomatoes
2 green chillies
1 inch peice of ginger
1/2 cup grated coconut
1/4 tsp turmeric
1 tsp red chilly powder
1 tsp dhania jeera powder
a little jaggery
1 tsp ghee
1 tsp jeera
5-6 curry leaves
salt to taste
1. Boil the tomatoes. Puree them and keep aside.
2. Add turmeric, red chilly powder, dhania jeera powder, jaggery and salt to the tomato puree.
3.Grind the grated coconut with green chillies and ginger to a fine paste.
4. Heat ghee in a pan, add jeera and curry leaves.
5. Add the tomato puree with the spices to the tempering.
6. Add the coconut, ginger and chilly paste and let it simmer for 3-5 minutes.
7. Garnish with coriander.
Serve with plain rice or matki pulao.