2 cups seedless dates
1/4 cup tamrind
1 cup jaggery (gur), grated
1 tsp chilli powder
a pinch asafoetida (hing)
1 tsp dhania jeera powder
salt to taste
1. Soak the tamrind in warm water for 15-20 minutes. When the tamrind becomes soft, mash it. Remove seeds, if any.
2. Wash the dates. Keep aside.
3. In a thick bottomed pan add tamrind pulp and dates.
4. Add the jaggery, chilli powder, dhania jeera powder, asafoetida, salt and 4 cups of water and simmer for 20 to 25 minutes.
5. Cool and strain the mixture through a sieve.