Corn Palak (serves 2)
1 cup american corn
1 medium bunch palak (spinach)
1 medium onion (finely chopped)
1 medium tomato (finely chopped)
1 tsp ginger paste
1 tsp garlic paste
a pinch of turmeric
1-2 tsp red chilly powder
1 tsp garam masla powder
1 heaped tsp ghee
1 tsp jeera
1 tbsp cream (malai)
salt to taste
1. Clean and wash the spinach. Steam the spinach in a double boiler. Puree it.
2. Wash the corn. Add a pinch of salt and a dash of lime juice to it. Boil the corn.
3. Chop onion roughly and grind it to a fine paste in a mixer.
4. Puree the tomato.
5. Heat ghee in a pan, add jeera (cumin) and let it crackle.
6. Add the onion paste and saute it till it turns brown.
7. Add the tomato puree and cook on slow fire till it leaves oil .
8. Add turmeric, red chilly powder, garam masala, salt. Mix well.
9. Add the spinach puree and mix well. Allow to simmer for a minute or so.
10. Add the corn. Mix well.
11. Beat the malai and make it smooth. Add it to the gravy just before serving.
Serve with hot rotis or rice.